Saturday, December 26, 2009

Should I let my daughter get highlights in her hair ?

She's 12, turning 13. I don't really have a problem with it, seeing as she's 12, but i'm just wondering what your opinions are.





She wants to get dark blonde highlights in her light brown hair, by the way.Should I let my daughter get highlights in her hair ?
I think she should, however I always somewhat believed that certain things should be earned. After all it does cost money to have those highlights done and I am sure you as the parent is the one who will be paying. Now I don't know if your child is good with money in general and understand the value of it, but I always told my boy (who is now 14): Good Boy Gets Good Things. So if he truly wants something that is more than $20 (it was less when he was younger, but older kids cost more as we know) he has to earn it in different ways. We both talk about what is reasonable for him to do, to get what he wants. I want him to be part of the decision process and he has been since he was about 7-8 years old. He of course never wants to do anything (like most kids...lol) but he agrees to most things we discuss. Now he happens to be a pretty good kid anyway, who has since he was 7 years old had certain weekly chores, like emptying garbage cans all over the house, clean the dinner table every night dinner etc etc. But when he wants something special, he gets to help me in the yard for a couple of hours or clean one of our cars on the inside including vacuuming etc. Small things that will not take too much time, and usually he does this on the weekends when he has more time.


I believe in by doing this, he will also understand that nothing is for free in life and even though I do spoil him occasionally of course, this is the routine most of the time. So with this I get some help at home (I have a full time job, a 7000 sqf home that I clean myself and a 3 acre lawn that I cut every week), gets him to understand that most of the time we have to work for the things we want and there is no such thing as a free lunch...lol. Also, some parents might think this is tough but his dad is a multi millionaire and I don't want him to think that money grows on trees and that we all have to work hard for the things we truly want.





So yes, I think your daughter should get the highlights if she really wants them, but it never hurts to teach them things that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.





Also, if you are going to do them, do take her to a trusted salon and they will tell you exactly if it can be done and what the result will be. If they are good, then most things can be done and it will look great.





Good luck :)Should I let my daughter get highlights in her hair ?
yeah i got them when iwas 9
ya! u shouldn't be worrying over this kinda stuff!... well, sometimes but not in these cases... a good parent lets their child be creative and curious and enjoy their youth... I'm 13... I can't even get the haircut I want... but soon as I graduate from school, I'm dying the tips of my hair white and gettin' red streaks with piercings up and down my ears, LAWL...


... can't wait...


...
It will probably damage her a hair a little.. but if she straightens it then it is already damaged so why not just let her then buy her the repairing shampoo..
i certainly would, the more u try and hold them close and stop them the more they will pull away, let her experiment but make sure she still knows ur the boss!
Of course, let her experiment.
i dont see a problem with it
Yup. That's fine.
let her,im 11 and i already have blone highlights(i have brown hair) so yea let im 11 and i already have em!
Highlights are good.


Just don't let her do an all over color, not because age but a year ago I tried to go dark blonde from dark brown and the lady turned my hair orange and I had to go back a week later and get it fixed and my hair is trashed. I now only have 2 inches of the color left, i just got a hair cut but my ends are DRY.
you should let her i got highlights when i was 12
I started dying my hair at 11 almost 12. Highlights look great on just about anyone if they are done right! I have brown hair, and I've always since then had some kind of highlights in it. I think as long as you guys have the money to keep it up, go for it!
the only thing that would bother me about that is it would damage her hair, and who wants to ruin their hair at 12? thats why i will never get high lights or dye my hair.





BUT i do think that would look good.
My 11 year old has blonde streaks in her dark brown hair and they look really good. I actually did them myself and I haven't had any expirience as a hair dresser and they turned out fine. I wouldn't have let her do them any younger than 10 though, because even though they can look good on anyone, they look a little odd on younger kids.





My 9 year old wants streaks too, and I have told her she can use fake estentions which do look real. When she turns 10 in a month I'll let her get them as a birthday present, its something she can look foward too.





So I would say go for it, and if you can't afford it do it yourself as its really not that hard. If its something your daughter truly wants, I don't see a problem with it as long as its not something she wants one day and doesn't want to next!
if u dont have any problems with it then let her get them done


but my friend is strawberry blonde and she got blonde highlights but you couldnt tell the difference so make sure u get the ones she wants which will show up so u dont waste your money!
theres no probel with highlights they're nice and all





BUT~


the color won't stay until she hits puberty


it'll fade really quick and not hold


plus it's mess up her hair growing by the chemicals in it


shes not fully developed and hair is part of the deal





I say wait a while
i got mine when i was like 10. Go for it , she is almost a teenager .
I got highlights when i was 13....let her expierment with it
Well, I think you should really think about it.





I dyed my hair a dark brown when I was 13, and I loved it.





However my best friend did the same thing and it came out horrible. She didn't go to school for weeks.





Nowadays, kids are rough, just make sure she REALLY wants to do it!





Good luck.
You should compromise with her. Tell her that she can have some highlights just a few at first and if she likes it then the next time she can have more.
Why not? I got them when I was 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment