Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Is it possible that highlights can damage your hair in any way?

I'm considering of getting highlights if I grow out my hair. I have had a partially long hairstyle before but my mom said I can't get highlights. She thinks it would look really good but she says it isn't good to have highlights 'cuz it uses different chemicals. Can highlights damage or ruin your hair? How can I convince my mom to let my get highlights if I grow my hair again.Is it possible that highlights can damage your hair in any way?
Highlights are not bad if they are done right. If you totally strip your hair of its pigment then it can really damage your hair but most highlights don't do that. Your hair looks dark brown so you should do a darker blonde highlight. However if you go to a light blonde highlight it can and probably will damage your hair. It all depends on your natural color really. I'm blonde and can put lighter blonde highlights in my hair without damaging it at all. Though if you don't know what your doing you should go to a professional. Highlights are actually better for your hair then color. With color you have to keep re-doing your entire head every few months. With highlights/bleach you just have to touch up the roots. So you only take out some color out of your hair once then that it. You don't have to keep re-doing your entire head because the hairs you did will stay like that because bleach doesn't fade like color does so in the long run its better for your hair. All you need to do is get a good moisturizing shampoo for highlights. Make sure the shampoo and conditioner you choose doesn't have these ingredients in it. They are bad for your hair regardless if its your natural color or not. A shampoo thats not on there that is good for hair is Organix. I use it and its great. I love it.





http://www.savvyskin.com/shampoo-ingredi鈥?/a>Is it possible that highlights can damage your hair in any way?
Ya it will. It's the same as dyeing your hair basically. I mean, it's not liek you are painting the hair, you are tinting it. Which damages it.





BUT, everything can damage hair! Wind, weather, diet, hair care.. You could never use a single product on your hair and there will still be some mild damage.





If you want to convince her to let you get highlights (which will be way less damaging because you aren't getting your entire head dyed), then let her know that you will start using good products to help protect your hair. If you blow dry or flat iron your hair, get a heat protectant (I use one by Tresemme). If your hair is on the dry side, get a good deep conditioner. Even for normal hair you could find a nice one (just look for one that is labeled to be for your hair type). Then use a shampoo and conditioner for your hair type, which will help against more damage. And lastly, get your hair stylist to talk to both of you about what you can do specifically to help protect against any or more damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment